Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day Two: Running

Let me begin by saying that I absolutely hate to run. It has been this way for as long as I can remember, no matter how much I try. I'm terrible and slow, but hopefully given a little time and practice, I'll get a little better, and maybe I won't hate it as much. I'll never be a runner. I'm perfectly okay with that. It's not an endorphin thing, it's not just that I'm bad at it. It's just nowhere near my idea of a good time.

That being said, I went running today. And I'm actually a little proud of myself. I was still slow, you can see that for yourself:
See? Terrible. Don't judge.
But I made myself do it and I didn't give up, and that feels excellent. Lucky for me, running is a pretty small part of my routine. I'll only be doing it twice a week tops.

A lot of people tend to swear by cardio, insisting that without it, fat loss isn't possible, but I'm here to tell you guys that's just not true. The body is a machine. If you take in fewer calories than you expend, you will lose weight. It's true that cardio is great at burning those calories, but if you hate it as much as I do, find something else that works for you. Something you love will always work better than something you hate simply because you'll stick with it. I figured this out the hard way, and it's why cardio is such a small part of what I do now.

Alright folks, I'm going to grab a big giant glass of water. I'll see you all again tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. AWW HELL YEAH GIRL! Don't compare your progress to other people, I too am someone who moves slowly. But when I do exercise, I move at my own pace, and that feels great! That said, 1.8 miles is something to be PROUD of, own that shit! The rest of us lazies are counting on you to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just you wait till I hit 5K in 30 minutes! I'll be jumping for joy!

      At least, I will be after my legs stop hurting...

      Delete
  2. Keep up the good work! I agree that running isn't for everyone. I am one of those people. Someone suggested to me that I don't run with the proper form. I had knee surgery and it messed with my gait but they said looking up the 'proper' way to run would not only make it easier, it would also make it hurt less afterwards. Worth a shot. A fitness instructor of mine suggested I do air punches for cardio. You just kind of punch across your chest like you're play-fighting. That helps with cardio also. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it though. So long as it gets done in a way that you're able to stick with. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D

      I just have chronic bronchitis, so any form of cardio is torture to me. My lungs flair up and I have trouble breathing properly for hours afterward.

      But that's part of the reason I'm working *some* running into my routine. As much as I hate it, doing a little at a time is a sure fire way to improve my lung function, so here we are!

      Delete